Saturday, July 5, 2014

Hurricane Watch Net: Hurricane Arthur Activation on 20/40 Meters


As a meteorologist major and a ham radio enthusiast I found it intriguing to listen in on the Hurricane Watch Net that is conducted by the National Hurricane Center in Florida. I had heard about the net and as a resident of a northern Gulf Coast state this really sparked my interest. Although I could not participate this was a great experience to listen in on the net to hear how things worked and how this valuable information was passed along to the National Hurricane Center to that forecasters can enhance their forecasts. Satellite and radar imagery can only do so much. Spotters and radio operators that can confirm information and relay those reports can be crucial to a potential disaster situation such as Hurricane Arthur. The net was conducted on 20 meters during the day and 40 meters at night with many relay stations around the Eastern portion of the country. Above I attached a short clip I recorded while the HWN was active during Hurricane Arthur.

(Satellite animation during the early stages of Arthur's development)

No comments:

Post a Comment