Saturday, July 5, 2014

2014 ARRL Field Day

After only  having my ham radio license for a few years I was extremely excited for Field Day 2014. Last year I was scheduled to work most of the weekend so I was extremely disappointing when I couldn't participate my first year. This year I came in extremely excited, ready to learn, and even had a slight bit of competitiveness in my step. I decided to work with the Central Mississippi Amateur Radio Association that held their FD at Mississippi Woman's Hospital in Flowood, MS. We had a digital station and a phone station. For a short time we had a 2 meter station working simplex as well as a GOTA station which stands for Get On The Air. This station is for anyone that wants to get on the air such as new hams or those interested in seeing what ham radio is all about. We used a 100 foot crank up tower with a tri-bander on top for 10-15-20 meters on our phone station. Digital had their own digital specified antenna. I worked for many hours of the event leading up to the very last second. I managed to snag a few Canada stations, Hawaii, and even Puerto Rico. I was disappointed that I couldn't snag the Virgin Islands but I am pretty sure they only worked CW.
I also had the honor of working alongside some great ham radio operators who passed along a lot of their knowledge to me. I think setting up the equipment that Friday Night had to be one of the most fun parts aside from the delicious food and sweets that were brought in. I have had my General for nearly a year now but nothing beats the experience you get operating on the air continuously. Sometimes it can be a grind saying on the air for so long and even I was dreaming of scrolling numbers, call-signs, and high pitched noises night after night following Field Day but it was everything I was hoping for. I love being in a hobby/profession where those around me are just as interesting in learning more. That is the wonderful thing about ham radio is that you never learn everything. There is always something to experiment with or try out in your own way. Here's to another successful and fun Field Day! Maybe I will work you next year!
 73 N5WXW

No comments:

Post a Comment