Wednesday, July 9, 2014

20 Meter Contact with the Canary Islands

                  In the early hours of Wednesday Morning(July 9, 2014) I was scrolling around 20 meters and heard a few DX stations. I noticed one station in particular with a very unique call-sign. After plugging it into QRZ I discovered it was a DX station calling from the Canary Islands which is a small area of volcanic islands off the African West Coastline. With an Icom-725 running 100 watts and an inverted "V" MFJ 10-40m dipole strung up in the trees in my back yard all it took was one call to snag this contact. Later I came to find that the location I contacted was around 4,300 miles away! That is INCREDIBLE! What a great hobby we are involved in. I find it so fascinating to be able to talk to other areas of the world under the right conditions! Other stations were amplified to 400 watts trying to make this contact while my 59+ 100 watt signal made it through even stronger! Make sure to check in to my blog often, 20 meters has been booming! I have some great things to come in the ham radio world! 73 N5WXW

No comments:

Post a Comment